THE SECOND MTS DP WORKSHOP
IN UAE 1st & 2nd MAY 2019
Crowne Plaza, Yas Island
WORKSHOP SUPPORTED FACILITATED BY THE MARINE TECHNOLOGY SOCIETY WORKSHOP SPONSORS – GULF MARINE SERVICES
The second MTS DP COMMITTEE facilitated workshop event in UAE will be conducted on the 1st & 2nd of May 2019 at the Crown Plaza Hotel, Abu Dhabi, UAE. This workshop will follow the familiar pattern of the MTS DP conference workshops conducted in Houston on the day preceding the Annual MTS DP Conference. Workshops such as this are seen as adding value to the DP community. This view is reflected in the increasing number of requests, to the MTS DP Committee, to conduct similar workshops in other areas around the world such as those held in Aberdeen UK, Rio de Janeiro, Oslo and Singapore.
SUPPORTERS AND SPONSORS
The workshop is facilitated by the MTS DP Committee.
Gulf Marine Services (GMS) are hosting the event in Abu Dhabi whilst MTS are providing all necessary resources for making the workshop possible. The attendees are invited to support the workshop with their generous sponsorships, details are with GMS Event Manager. Attendance is free of charge.
ABOUT THE MTS DP Committee
The MTS DP Committee is a subcommittee of the Marine Technology Society, a non-profit 503C organization. The DP Committee was established in 1996 with its stated mission being to encourage exchange of information, discussion of technology, training and education, foster improvement of DP reliability, develop guidelines, and address any other issues pertinent to dynamic positioning that facilitate incident free execution of DP operations.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Safety in marine and offshore operations is paramount. MTS actively leads and supports this view. The theme of this year’s workshop is ’Safety and Predictable Incident Free DP Operations Through Effective Management’ – The theme has been jointly chosen by MTS as supporters of the workshop, and GMS as sponsors of the workshop.
The workshop will follow the proven themes of addressing pertinent elements of Design, Operations and People – all three focus areas which influence the delivery of Safe and Predictable DP Operations. The MTS Dynamic Positioning Workshop provides DP professionals with the opportunity to meet and participate in discussions related to latest technology, applications and changes affecting Dynamic Positioning. The workshop provides a venue for the sharing of knowledge, experience, and lessons learned.
This is a must-attend event for all professionals actively involved in DP or interested in gaining a better understanding of this continually advancing science. The workshop provides value to all DP professionals, including designers, engineers, DP operators, support staff, consultants, class societies, government organizations and regulatory agencies, and DP vessel managers and owners. The workshop will be facilitated by honored representatives of Marine Technology Society, Suman Muddusetti, Chairman of MTS DP Subcommittee on Guidance and Standards, and Dr Steven Cargill, member on the MTS DP Subcommittee on Guidance and Standards.
Registration is free and needs to be completed by April 30th, 2019. It includes technical sessions with materials, lunch both days, morning receptions and coffee breaks. Attendance at this workshop is limited to 30 persons (Limit 2 per company – exceptions if any to be agreed by GMS Event Manager). Registration for this workshop will be managed by:
- Rowena Asis – firstname.lastname@example.org, +971 2 5028824, +971 50 4434867
- Viktor Fedorchenko – email@example.com, +971 56 4121859 Please register early by sending an email reply to both email addresses listed above.
The workshop will be held at Crowne Plaza, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Accommodation is available at a discounted corporate rate provided to GMS, details are with GMS Event Manager.
WORKSHOP FACILITATOR: SUMAN MUDDUSETTI (CHAIRMAN MTS DP SUBCOMMITTEE ON GUIDANCE AND STANDARDS – SHELL INTERNATIONAL EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION)
WORKSHOP CO-FACILITATOR: DR STEVEN CARGILL (MEMBER MTS DP SUBCOMMITTEE ON GUIDANCE AND STANDARDS – DNVGL NDms TECHNICAL AUTHORITY FOR DP)
The topics for 2019 workshop were chosen to align with the theme chosen by MTS and GMS – ’Safety and Predictable Incident Free DP Operations Through Effective Management’ for their significance and relevance to activities being carried out offshore UAE.
This workshop will focus on enhancing awareness of DP related issues associated with the chosen topics and the steps that can be taken to address these issues. It will also focus on means to enhance value and effectiveness in the management of DP operations across the Supply Chain.
Applicability: Those likely to benefit from the workshop include:
- Representatives from Vessel Owners / Contractors’ Project Teams, Technical Departments (with accountability for specifying DP Equipment, FMEAs, providing technical support for operations, Managing Operations).
- Vessel’s Operational Management teams (Masters, Chief Engineers, Chief Electricians & DPOs).
- Representatives from Oil Companies / Operators with accountability for chartering of and assurance on DP related
- Representatives responsible for training personnel/stakeholders engaged in DP operations. (not limited to DPO training).
- Consultant community (Independent 3rd Party Assurance and providing technical and operational support to Charterers and Vessel Managers)
- Representatives from Class responsible for approval of DP systems
- Representatives from Statutory Bodies (Flag State / Coastal State)
- Representatives from Shipyards, Key DP equipment vendors
The format of the workshop will follow that used at the MTS DP CONFERENCE in Houston. Participants work in small groups of 6 to 8 persons per table. Coaching and mentoring will be provided to the participants to allow them to be effective and achieve the stated objectives. Results and conclusions from the workshop will be summarized and presented to the MTS DP Technical Committee and to the sponsors.
The workshop will focus on enhancing awareness of issues and steps that can be taken to address the same and means to enhance the value of managing DP operations effectively across the Supply Chain. Additionally, the workshop will provide a venue for the participants to gain awareness of the Technical and Operations guidance (TECHOPs) published by the MTS DP COMMITTEE.
TOPICS AND AGENDA
08:00~08:15 Opening address
08:15~08:30 An overview of MTS DP COMMITTEE – SM
08:30~09:00 Group Activity #1
09:00~12:00 ‘OWNERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF DP STATION KEEPING RISK’ (FACILITATED SESSION)
- General Discussion
- Group Activity #2
- Report Out
LUNCH BREAK: (1200~1300)
AFTERNOON SESSION (1300~1700): ‘THE PEOPLE FACTOR – FMEA PRACTIONER AND DP SME COMPETENCE’
- Setting the Scene (MTS DP COMMITTEE INTERIM TECHOP_16)
- Group Activity #3
- Report Out
- (MTS DP COMMITTEE INTERIM TECHOP_16)
MORNING SESSION (0800~1200): ‘DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS – ARE WE ADDRESSING CROSS CONNECTIONS EFFECTIVELY?’
LUNCH BREAK: (1200~1300)
AFTERNOON SESSION (1300~1700): 13:00~17:00 ‘QUALITY ASOGs (WHY, WHAT AND HOW)’
- Developing and leveraging quality ASOGs.
- Managing the ASOG process.
- ASOG and response to Yellows and Reds
- Emergency scenarios training:
- Emergency procedures.
- Emergency ship handling.
- Vessel specific familiarization.
- Decision Support Tools (DSTs)
- Who owns the ASOG?
16:30~17:00 Wrap-Up Group Activity #2
Suggested pre-reading available from the MTS DP Committee website
Dynamic Positioning Committee using the links below:
- TECHOP_ODP_11_(D) (CROSS_CONNECTIONS)
- TECHOP_ODP_13_(D) (CONTROL POWER SUPPLIES AND AUTO CHANGEOVERS)
- TECHOP_ODP_16_(P)_Part_1_(DP SME AND FMEA PRACTITIONER COMPETENCY ELEMENTS)_INTERIM_Ver1_03201921
- TECHOP_ODP_16_(P)_Part_2_(DP SME PRACTITIONER COMPETENCY ELEMENTS)_INTERIM_Ver1_03201921
- TECHOP_ODP_16_(P)_Part_3_(DP FMEA PRACTITIONER COMPETENCY ELEMENTS)_INTERIM_Ver1_03201921